- I don’t think we can come up with a solution to the problem, however long we spend
( ) it. 〔2009年度本試験〕
①discussing ②talking ③to discuss ④to talk
- The catalog ( ) that this year’s model is slightly cheaper than last year’s. 〔2008年度本試験〕
①says ②speaks ③talks ④tells
- In order to ( ) the village, hikers need to be prepared for a narrow and rocky path.
①arrive ②get ③reach ④return
- It’s only a small house but it ( ) my needs perfectly. 〔1992年度本試験〕
①agrees ②meets ③replies ④responds
- Bill was not sure if he would win the game, but he crossed his fingers and ( ) for the best.
①expected ②feared ③hoped ④thought
- It’s a pity that quite a few Japanese women ( ) their jobs when they get married.
①end up ②quit ③retire ④withdraw
- I still can’t believe that the young man I ( ) at the restaurant was Frankie. He’s
grown so much! 〔2003年度本試験〕
①should have seen ②saw ③have seen ④might see
- We ( ) playing baseball for about half an hour when it started to rain very heavily.
①had been ②have been ③might be ④would be
- I ( ) in China for three years when I was a child, but I can’t speak Chinese at all.
①have been ②have once stayed ③lived ④went
- The man decided to wait at the station until his wife ( ). 〔1991年度追試験〕
①came ②come ③has come ④will come
- Ms. Bell is stuck in a traffic jam. The important meeting will have finished by the time she ( ). 〔2012年度本試験〕
①arrives ②may arrive ③will arrive ④will have arrived
- My sister insisted ( ) the problem by myself. 〔2007年度本試験〕
①me to solve ②on me to solve ③on my solving ④that I should be solved
- Although her parents had said “no” for a long time, they finally ( ) her go to Europe alone.
①allowed ②got ③let ④made
- A college education will ( ) you to get a broader view of the world. 〔1996年度本試験〕
①enable ②let ③make ④take
- Kate speaks English very fast. I’ve never heard English ( ) so quickly. 〔1992年度本試験〕
①speak ②speaking ③spoken ④to speak
- If the pain in your throat becomes worse, have it ( ) at once. 〔2006年度本試験〕
①check ②checking ③to check ④checked
- You will find the word “psychology” ( ) under “P” in your dictionary. 〔1995年度本試験〕
①have listed ②list ③listed ④listing
- I hope ( ) a pleasant weekend. 〔2005年度追試験〕
①you to have ②you will have ③your having ④you having
- You aren’t allowed to take photographs, so ( ) a camera. 〔1989年度追試験〕
①it’s no point in taking ②it’s no point to take
③there’s no point in taking ④there’s no point to take
- I don’t mind leaving at six o’clock: ( ) up early. 〔1989年度本試験〕
①l used to getting ②I was used to get ③I’m used to get ④I’m used to getting
- This symphony is a real masterpiece. I think it’s worth ( ) over and over again.
①be listened to ②listening to ③to be listened to ④to listen to
- Do you ( ) my switching off the heater now? It’s getting warmer. 〔1992年度追試験〕
①agree ②care ③mind ④object
- ( ) fashion, I know nothing. 〔1995年度本試験〕
①When I come on ②When it comes to ③Where I come to ④Where it comes on
- “What would you like to do today?”
“I feel like ( ) for a drive.” 〔2000年度追試験〕
①going ②I go ③I’m going ④to go
- ( ) in a very difficult situation, the doctor never had any rest. 〔1986年度追試験〕
①Work ②Working ③Worked ④To work
- I was called into the office first, my name ( ) at the head of the list. 〔1982年度追試験〕
①holding ②putting ③making ④being
- ( ) in 1912 that the Titanic sank during her first voyage. 〔1995年度追試験〕
①It being ②It was ③When it is ④When it was
- Some books, if ( ) carelessly, will do more harm than good. 〔1985年度追試験〕
①read ②to read ③in reading ④reading
- Cold chicken is delicious ( ) salad. 〔1994年度本試験〕
①when eaten with ②when eating with ③with when eaten ④with when eating
- He lay on the sofa with his ( ) and soon fell asleep. 〔1998年度本試験〕
①arms folded ②arms folding ③fold arms ④folding arms
- Don’t go too far out from the shore in that small boat. ( ) 〔1992年度本試験〕
①It cannot be in danger. ②It could be dangerous.
③You wouldn’t be dangerous. ④You’d be out of danger.
- Dorothy isn’t in the office; she ( ) coffee in the cafeteria. 〔1989年度追試験〕
①can be having ②can have ③might be having ④might have
- You should ( ) to me when I warned you. 〔2007年度追試験〕
①be listened ②be listening ③have listened ④listen
- “I don’t see Tom. I wonder why he’s late.”
“Well, he ( ) his train, or maybe he overslept.” 〔1999年度本試験〕
①might have missed ②might miss ③should have missed ④should miss
- “I saw Mr. Yamada at Shinjuku Station this morning.”
“You ( ) have. He’s still on vacation in Hawaii.” 〔1996年度本試験〕
①couldn’t ②didn’t ③might ④should
- It was only an informal party. You ( ) up. 〔1989年度追試験〕
①didn’t have to dress ②don’t have to dress
③mustn’t dress ④mustn’t have dressed
- If I were a little younger, I ( ) you in climbing the mountain. 〔1992年度追試験〕
①have joined ②join ③will join ④would join
- “I couldn’t finish my homework yesterday.”
“If you ( ) me, I would have helped.” 〔1996年度追試験〕
①had asked ②have asked ③should ask ④would ask
- Jim had a skiing accident yesterday, but he’s all right. He’s lucky because he ( ) hurt
himself badly. 〔2001年度本試験〕
①could have ②might ③should ④will have
- If I ( ) a computer last year, I’d still be using my old typewriter. 〔1998年度本試験〕
①hadn’t bought ②haven’t bought ③shouldn’t buy ④wouldn’t buy
- I was very tired. Otherwise, I ( ) to the party with you last night. 〔1994年度追試験〕
①had gone ②went ③would go ④would have gone
- The beach was beautiful! I wish I ( ) longer. 〔2004年度本試験〕
①have stayed ②could have stayed ③can stay ④will stay
- Do you know how ( ) in the evening the show will begin? 〔1993年度本試験〕
①early ②fast ③quickly ④rapidly
- Nowadays not many students want to be teachers, probably because they find teachers’
salaries very ( ). 〔1994年度本試験〕
①cheap ②expensive ③inexpensive ④low
- As they grow older, many people become ( ) to look after themselves. 〔1981年度追試験〕
①necessary ②hard ③unable ④difficult
- Japan has ( ) oil and therefore is almost entirely dependent on imports. 〔1988年度本試験〕
①a little ②few ③little ④small
- I feel ( ) and sleepy in Mr. Brown’s lessons, since he is always using the same material.
①bored ②boring ③interested ④interesting
- This country is so ( ) that it takes no more than a day to drive around it. 〔1997年度本試験〕
①large ②narrow ③small ④wide
- The firemen had trouble getting to the street ( ) the houses were on fire. 〔1992年度本試験〕
①how ②that ③where ④which
- Last night Cindy told me about her new job in Tokyo，( ) she appears to be
enjoying very much. 〔2002年度追試験〕
①which ②where ③what ④when
- I think he is a very intelligent person, ( ) many people don’t agree with me. 〔2008年度本試験〕
①but ②for ③which ④who
- ( ) seems easy at first often turns out to be difficult. 〔1991年度本試験〕
①It ②That ③What ④Which
- It’s not only her friends that Ms. Kinoshita is kind to. She helps ( ) needs her help.
①those ②whatever ③whoever ④whom
- Michael works very hard. That’s ( ) I respect him. 〔2008年度本試験〕
①how ②the person ③the thing ④why
- Where in Australia ( )? 〔1990年度本試験〕
①did you grow up ②did you raise up ③were you grown up ④were you risen up
- His attempt to enter the university was ( ) and he celebrated with his friends.〔1996年度追試験〕
①succeeded ②success ③successful ④successive
- The question ( ) at today’s meeting is whether we should postpone the plan till next month.
①discussing ②is discussed ③to be discussed ④to be discussing
- Many accidents ( ) the icy road conditions. 〔1987年度本試験〕
①resulted by ②resulted from ③took place ④were caused
- Let’s go ahead and do it. Nothing ( ) by just waiting. 〔2003年度本試験〕
①will be gained ②will gain ③has gained ④gains
- Things long ( ) cannot be forgotten. 〔2007年度追試験〕
①enjoyed ②enjoying ③have enjoyed ④to enjoy
- Mr. Roberts did not choose any of the three jackets because he found ( ) satisfactory.
①both of them ②either of them ③neither of them ④none of them
- I haven’t read ( ) of his novels, but judging from the one I have read, I think he’s a very promising writer. 〔1991年度追試験〕
①any ②both ③either ④none
- Scholars agree that the variety of wildlife is nowadays less than ( ) used to be.
①those ②it ③they ④ones
- I’ve already had one bad experience buying goods by mail order and I don’t want ( ).
①another ②any longer ③at all ④other
- Can you tell the difference between rice grown in Japan and ( )? 〔1994年度本試験〕
①American one ②American rice ③one of America ④rice of America
- The results of Experiment A are more reliable than ( ) of Experiment B. 〔1997年度追試験〕
①ones ②that ③these ④those
- I’d be grateful if you could answer this letter ( ) the fifteenth of this month.〔1988年度追試験〕
①by ②by the time ③till ④until the time
- They’ve just become seniors, so they’ll graduate ( ) one more year. 〔1996年度本試験〕
①for ②from ③in ④since
- Please excuse me ( ) being so late. I was caught in heavy traffic. 〔1990年度追試験〕
①for ②from ③of ④to
- More and more videos were being rented in Britain, yet the number of movie tickets sold
( ) 81 percent from 53 to 96 million. 〔1993年度本試験〕
①decreased less than ②decreased to ③increased by ④increased up to
- Robin suddenly began to feel nervous ( ) the interview. 〔2002年度追試験〕
①during ②by ③while ④until
- ( ) his many hours of study, he did not make much progress in German. 〔1990年度本試験〕
①Because of ②Besides ③Despite ④Instead of
Don’t shout at me like that. I didn’t break it ( ) purpose.
The two used to be on good ( ), but have become bitter rivals of late.
It has been five years since I broke ( ) with Emmy.
The Beatles was the band Dad listened to, so I am familiar ( ) the music.
I found it difficult to ( ) up with Jim. He really walked fast!
I go jogging every morning and work ( ) at the gym twice a week.
It is ( ) to you to decide where to eat. Today is your birthday!
My brother and I take ( ) mowing the lawn.
Jean had been in the hospital for some time and ( ) away last month.
Please help yourself ( ) some cake.
The restaurant you mentioned seems nice. I’ll ( ) it out.
I hope this information will be ( ) some use.
I am fed up ( ) her complaints.
Nick is always showing ( ) his superior knowledge of wine.
Morning or afternoon. It ( ) no difference to me.
If that book is not in stock, we can order it ( ) Tokyo.
After the war, we lost ( ) of Thompson.
We had to move to Berlin on ( ) of my job.
If you work too hard, you will ( ) up getting sick.
These shoes will be cheaper in the long ( ) because they will last longer.
At first Bob wouldn’t let me travel alone, but finally he ( ) in.
The Internet has brought ( ) far-reaching changes in the way we work.
Every ( ) and then I get homesick for Los Angeles.
A new road is currently ( ) construction in the north of the city.
While walking, I ( ) up with a good idea.
Ben showed ( ) one hour late for the meeting.
Angela stood ( ) in the contest. No wonder she won first prize.
It’d be good to send your baggage in ( ) to avoid any inconvenience.